Re: Installing a KZPSA card with debian (woody) on intel machine

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:21:08AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 22:06, Nick Boyce wrote:
> >
> > Erm .. isn't a KZPSA a DEC-brand card intended for use in DEC Alpha
> > systems (the kind with PCI buses, rather than Futurebuses) (where
> > DEC=Compaq=Hewpaq as necessary) ?
>
> > I'm not at all sure you should expect it to work in an 1386 machine.
>
> It may work.  Do SCSI BIOSs run on the host CPU or on a built-in
> CPU?

I think the ones intended for i386 do. I have an adaptec Open Firmware
card which I gather is what you get for a Mac or (where I got this one
from) a Sun - maybe a DEC as well. As I understand it, it has the
firmware in a variant of Forth, which can be run on different platforms,
but still in the host CPU. Naturally my (i386 architecture) box can't
handle that. So it doesn't boot, but other than that runs fine. I just
have a smallish IDE disk to boot off.

Richard