Re: Couple of more questions.

Teilhard Knight wrote:

I tried to test the modem, but I have no
permission to dial, urgh!, and the system says that I should add myself to
the dialing group.

"addgroup knight dialout" as root,
then log knight out and log knight back in.

I didn't know how to do that and it was late, so, I will
try today. I installed the NVIDIA packages, and I did it opening the package
and entering on the install icon inside. If I did it first hand, nothing
happened, but when I selected open with the mouse, the system said I
shouldn't do that, but instead press "enter" on the install icon. Pressing
enter afterwards created a temporary file which was detected if I tried to
do it again. That's why I think I got the packages installed.
I've never played much with installing packages graphically, so don't even understand what you're saying here. If it's a .deb file, I'd just, at a command prompt as root, run "dpkg -i foo.deb", where foo is the name of the package you're installing.

Last thing is that my CDROM drive got stuck for a while. Couldn't open it's
contents, nor eject it by hand or by selecting "eject the device" with the
mouse. After a while, I could eject it by hand and read it.

This will happen if the cdrom device/mount point is being used in any way. For example, if you have a file manager opened and displaying the contents of /cdrom (the usual mount point), or if you have a terminal open and it's current directory is /cdrom.

Why is it that on the beginning of the installation the install program
detects both my DVD and my CD-RW, but after the installation I can only work
with the drive I used to install?

Not enough detail provided here. Even if the system detects the devices, they may not be mounted for use. Use "dmesg|more" and look for references to your devices, then using that info, you can mount them. For example, you can create a directory named "dvd", and if dmesg shows your DVD drive to be on /dev/hdd, you can mount it with a command like "mount /dev/hdd1 /home/knight/dvd". You can automate this process with such packages as automounter and/or with configuration in /etc/fstab.

One doesn't have to reboot in Linux after installing something like in
Windows, does one?

Not generally; sometimes third-party packages ask you to reboot, simply because that's easier than them trying to [re]start whatever service they need to have running, but if you know what you're doing, you can manually do the [re]start of the service. Also, if you're installing a new kernel, it won't be active until after a reboot. But other than that, pretty much there are no reboots necessary after installing software.