slow network name resolution?

I recently installed Debian on a PC for the first time, and consequently have some questions. One that I thought it might be appropriate to ask on this forum concerns network speed.

The PC is on a local network connected to the Internet and connections generally appear to work properly, but there is a delay which seems to be around the time the PC is trying to resolve a hostname (e.g. a delay while loading pages in the browser, or before ping starts to send packets). Once a connection is established, data transfer speeds are what I would expect.

This problem does not occur with other machines on the network (including an identical PC installed with Suse Linux) so I suspect some quirk of Debian's network configuration (3.0r1 stable).

Does anybody recognize this problem? Or perhaps can point me to the appropriate documentation to investigate it.

Thanks and regards,
Dave Howorth