Re: debian on laptop w/ limited ram/speed/HD

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:05:05PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> So does anyone have suggesions about
> -tweaks to get debian to run optimally on a (relatively) small
> memory/processing speed budget;
> -if necessary, alternatives to / modifications of OpenOffice that
> don't require quite so much room to work as the standard OO
> installation needs?
>
> Would it perhaps be useful to compile stuff from scratch, rather than
> use generic debian packages?

It wouldn't help you to compile OOo from scratch - it will waste a lot of
time and I optimise the packages for Pentium Pro & later, since the majority
of users have these class processors.

Although OOo is a memory hog, it is actually mostly the startup time that is
annoying, so just keeping one window open somewhere or other will keep it in
memory (or swapped out on your swap partition) and prevent the long startup
times.

Chris