decrufting system files (e.g. GNOME files)

Hi folks--
I'm trying to clean out extraneous and old files from the system directories. I have some scripts to short out which files are known to the current Debian configuration and which are not. Many of the "are not" files came from earlier versions of currently installed packages. For exmample:
  /etc/CORBA/servers/gdict.gnorba
  /etc/CORBA/servers/stripchart-applet.gnorba

were delivered with gnome-utils 1.4.1.2-4 but are not part of my currently installed current gnome-utils 2.2.0.3-1.

As a rule, can old such old conffiles be removed without causing too much trouble? I have ~450 of these cluttering /etc.

Thanks
--rich