Re: Power off

acpi is a new standard in power management that is more under the control of the OS than the bios. if acpi is enabled, you should have things like ac_adapter, battery, etc under /proc/acpi. or you can check dmesg and whether you can see ACPI related messages, you should see messages like "battery socket found, battery present" etc.

once you have acpi enabled, you need to have the likes of acpid to control all the information that acpi modules from the kernel provide. but thats all the cosmetic part. the basic functionality you desire should work if your hardware is ACPI compatible and acpi is correctly compiled into your kernel.

solong

daniel huhardeaux wrote:
Leo Spalteholz wrote:

[...]
I think you need to enable Advanced power management. Its disabled by default.. I think the -apm flag at boot will enable it. Or you can recompile your kernel with support enabled.
*It's* enabled. Change nothing on 2 computers (notebook and NoName) but the 2 others, more recent ... are doing a reboot instead of halt! One is RH73 second Debian woody. Very strange. I also checked the bios, but nothing who could have relation with this (in my opinion, of course :-))