can't mount homemade cdroms on one machine

     I have one machine that will not mount cdrom I make, though
     store bought ones mount fine.

     My own cds mount fine on my other two boxes.

     The message I get on mounting is "No medium found"

     The drive is actually a dvd-rom.
     Kernel boot message is:
               "Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1102, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive"

     The machine that will not mount them also will not boot from any
     cd, though the bios seems to support it. It has never booted from a cd.
     It is my oldest machine c1998.

     I have tried using a different ide controller with no change.

     I have tried from a rescue floppy with the same results.

     Are some cdroms just too picky?

          ~Michael