Re: New Kernel - No Network

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> bounce-debian-user=glhenni=sandia.gov@lists.debian.org writes:
>> I just compiled and installed linux-2.4.20.  I had been running
>> linux-2.2.22 without network problems.  The new kernel does not
>> configure the network. At startup, the new kernel says it can't find
>> module 3c59x, the driver for the 3COM network card (it also says it
>> can't find the unix module). If I boot the older kernel, I have no
>> network problems at all.  I'm relatively new to Linux and don't know how
>> to troubleshoot the new kernel.  The modules and modules.conf files in
>> both kernels look the same.  Please advise.  Thanks.   Vince
>
> You compiled the kernel yourself? If so you forgot to select the 3Com
> driver for your ethernet adapter. You'll have to recompile the kernel
> with that module. Using "make xconfig" in the kernel-source directory,
> go to
>         Network device support->Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
>
> Click "y" for "3COM cards" and then select "m" for [3c590/3c900 series
> (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" support].
>
> Gary

Couldn't he just do the 'make xconfig' and then run 'make modules' and 'make
modules_install'?

I'm wondering if the original .config was used.  There should be a copy in
/boot.  That would help a lot.  I'm also wondering what is the meaning of
the 'modules and modules.conf files in both kernels look the same'?  Does
this mean that the files in /lib/modules/2.2.22 are the same as in
/lib/modules/2.4.20?  If that is the case, then it would appear that all the
same modules had been selected, right?

Anita