Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

Hi Gary,

Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately, the Fujitsu-Siemens Celvin only has a third party USB floppy drive. I made sure that I installed USB mass storage in the kernel, but how do I get the USB floppy to work, so that I can do what you suggest?

Cheers,

Brian

Gary Turner wrote:

A:  See for yourself

Brian Durant wrote:

If it is OK with you, I would rather not interleave my responses. I just got over some serious eye problems and find that spending too much time editing and working with the dim Debian text output on my daughter's computer, makes my eyes complain a lot. I am trying to keep the eye strain at a tolerable level. I hope you understand.

If I may make a suggestion, Brian, rather than cause strain while
reading off one screen and trying to type to another, redirect the
output to a floppy disc.

For example;
$ mount /floppy
$ dpkg -l dhc* | grep ^i > /floppy/dpkgout
# tail /var/log/syslog > /floppy/syslogout
$ umount /floppy

Then you can use sneaker net* (hand carry the floppy to your XP) to
transfer the data.  Use Wordpad or whatever to open the file.  From
there you can cut and paste.

In any case, top posting combined with a lack of editing can only
exacerbate eye strain.  If not yours, everyone else's.  On the other
hand, placing your reply/comment directly under the lines you're
answering, and deleting everything not germane to the present exchange
will greatly ease readability for everyone.

<snip>

ps - since there are a lot of instructions and questions in here, when
you reply, please interleave your responses with the text of this mail,
like what's done at the top of this mail, to avoid as much confusion
as possible

The reason your cursor starts at the top is so you can begin by cutting
as you go.  When you reach a line you'll answer, put your comment under
it and start cutting again.  Beats the hell out of trying to find your
place, then move back to the top.

Q:  Why is top posting not a good idea?
(Thanks, I think, to Baloo for the idea.)

* also known as SMTP  (Shanks Mare Transport Protocol)

--
gt                                           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- John Kenneth Galbraith, economist