Re: shuttle disaster

On Thursday 06 February 2003 11:55, John Hasler wrote:
> Mike M writes:
> > Can you imagine a 100 or a 1000 of these things?
> Yes, but why would you need that many?

how many different airports do we have now?  seems like 1000 would be normal
to low.

> > Would it be possible to use them to increase the length of a day?
> The question makes no sense.

yes it would be possible to slow the rotation of the earth, but it would take
a bit of work to do using these before it became noteable (unless you have
your days down to 12 digits)

> > What would happen when the ribbon broke and came fluttering back to the
> > planet's surface?
> It would break at the weakest point which would be at the bottom.  The
> ribbon would not be under tension so it would pretty much just hang there
> waiting to be repaired.

it actually depends on how its done, most likely the tension which it would
have would pull it away from earth (atleast the part still attached to the
far end)  and if it broke off high enough, then yes, there would be a line of
ribbon that comes down that could cause problems.

one of the many questions i can't answer is
Why is this thead still going? and why on Debian User?