Re: Root partition stuck in read-only mode.

<carel.fellinger@chello.nl> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 05:30:36PM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> [ ... ]
>
> Is there something special I have to do to tell my kernel
> that there are SCSI disks at the time I make the boot floppy?

That all depends:)
It's a long time since I made boot floppies (prefer bootable CD's)
but if I'm not mistaken mkboot uses your current kernel.  So if all
the scsi stuff is compiled in all's swell.  But if (part of) the
SCSI stuff is compiled as modules you need to use initrd to get to
those modules in time.

Thank you.

Well, I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board to
figure out how to make a usable boot floppy ... or perhaps a
boot CD ... I really don't care which one I have, as long as
I have _some_ source for a boot record besides my hard disk.

I guess I'm going to have to gain the knowledge necessary for
using initrd during the process of building a boot disk/CD,
since mkboot and the yard suite are currently at the limits
of my knowledge.

Without my Linux box working for more than a few minutes
at a time, I have at best intermittent internet access, so
could someone point me to a step-by-step cookbook that
describes how to make a bootable floppy or CD, when initrd is
needed to load added SCSI modules?  Also, something that
tells me how to find out which SCSI modules I need, and which
of these are and aren't compiled into my kernel would also be
useful.  I have the standard, unmodified 2.4.20-686-smp kernel,
by the way.

I'm not asking anyone to do my work for me ... I'd just
appreciate a pointer to a reliable source of information that
I could get to quickly and then download ... preferably something
that presents all the needed data in one place so I don't have
to follow links all over the net during the limited time that
I can get access.  Once I get this source of info, I'll take
it from there.

Thanks again to all of you.