Re: Building an IMAP server

In article <[🔎] 20030202164229.GB6970@yun.yagibdah.de>,
Hans Wilmer  <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>1.) performance:
>
>    My server has an IDE disk only, and it turned out that imapd
>    tends to heavily access the disk. Performance (700 MHz Athlon)
>    is ok for one user, accessing a folder holding a handful of
>    mails only. But when accessing the debian-users folder, it takes
>    quite a while until mails are displayed, and access is unusably
>    slow when sorting the mails by date. When trying to get a threaded
>    view with squirrelmail, the PHP script even times out.

That's because all webmail clients are incredibly stupid. Because
HTTP is stateless, they connect to the IMAP server every time you
click on something. And every time the IMAP server has to open the
mailbox and scan all messages in it.

They should really use a persistant proxy or something in-between
that keeps the connection open for the duration of the entire
webmail session. AFAIK there's only one webmail thingy that
actually does that, but I can't remember the name :(

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.