Re: Desktop environment---what am I missing?

Gary Turner said:
> I run X with icewm.  No KDE or Gnome.  What would be the advantage(s) of
> adding one of these facilities?

a more integrated "experience". Generally a more consistant look &
feel between the apps. File managers with a good deal of mime types
configured so you can click/double click on a file and have it open
in the default app.

I used to use KDE back before it hit 1.0, used it for a year or 2,
up until ~1.1 or so maybe in early 1999 then I switched to afterstep,
and have been using it ever since. Even on my 1300mhz/768MB machine.
I've found I don't need the bells and whistles of a desktop enviornment,
though sometimes KDE is fun to play with(one reason why I keep SuSE
around, for playing, see how the apps work etc).

if your happy with icewm, stick to it, though nothing prevents you
from installing KDE or GNOME or both(or both and others) alongside
icwm and being able to switch between them(on the fly even).

I do use KDM, thats the one thing I like about KDE, though I may be
switching to GDM because it has the nice Xnest integration(gdmXnest
I think it's called).

nate