Re: moving Woody /usr partition

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 both nate and Nicos Gollan relied to my request:

following ex nate quoted for reference:-

> john gennard said:
>
> > I installed Woody whilst leaving Potato on this box
> > and I've only now realised I did a sloppy job.
> > /dev/hda contains all of Woody except /usr which I
> > put on hdb (hdb8 - 1.2gig) as there was surplus
> > space there. Nothing else on hdb needs to be retained.
>
> what I do ..
>
> 1) install the new disk, partition & format it as you like
> 2) mount the disk somewhere on the root filesystem(I use /usr.new)
> 3) go to single user mode ('init 1')
> 4) cd /usr ; cp -a * /usr.new/ ; cd / ; mv usr usr.old
> 5) edit /etc/fstab and add the new filesystem
> 7) run the system for a few days and make sure everything is good, once
> this is done erase /usr.old if you want. I've done this procedure dozens
> of time and have never had a problem.
>
> nate

I'm still very much of a novice, so I like to think about advice given
and plan how to go ahead. The advice seemed to give a simple way to
solve my problem, but I've hit a snag which I can't understand.

Simply, I have to transfer the contents of /usr on /dev/hdb8
to a partition on /dev/hda (so that I can install a 40gig drive
in the place of the existing one on hdb). From the advice given,
I know what to do.

/dev/hda2 was a 15M /boot partition and /dev/hda3 a 2830M /usr
partition for Potato which are no longer required, so using
fdisk I deleted both and created new Linux ext2 partitions of
1900M (hda2) and 1100M (hda3). However, I cannot copy /usr (hdb8)
to /usr.xxx (hda2) because hda2 only mounts as 15M.

I've booted normally and mounted hda2 by hand, but whilst cfdisk
quotes 1900M and fdisk shows the same, df -h shows 15M (2.0K used
and 14M unused). The copy command starts and runs out of space at 15M.
If I include hda2 in /etc/fstab and reboot, it's mounted OK but again
only as 15M. (15M is of course the original hda2 which I deleted and
merged with hda3 before creating the new partitions. Any help please?

John.