Re: cu program?

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 09:29, Larry W.Irwin Sr. wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I have finally built a small home lan and want to leave my modem
> connected to the server machine. I found a HOWTO on this subject in
> the doc-linux package. The following perl script was listed as one
> method of routing pppd from one machine to the other.
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> select((select(STDOUT), $| = 1)[$[]);
> select((select(STDIN), $| = 1)[$[]);
> exec 'cu -s 115200 -l /dev/ttyS0';
> die '$0: Cant exec cu: $!\n';
>   I cannot locate the cu program. Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

Jeez, uucp is, like, /totally/ 80's!

Seriously, look for diald, and put it on the modem-server.  With port
forwarding enabled, it waits for all inet packets destined for outside
the LAN.  If it sees such packets (i.e., someone on another box tries
to go to http://www.i-love-msft.org), then if the modem is disconnected,
it fires up pppd, and if it's on-line, it does nothing.  Either way,
once a connection is made, the packets are then passed through.

Also, there is a user-configurable time-out period, so that you can
surf at leisure w/o constantly getting disconnected.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |