ntpd not keeping time

Hello all. I've got this weird problem with ntpd. Up until now I've never
had ntpd fail me. But on this one box I've got the clock speeding up by 30
minutes each day. I've got ntpd installed and configured properly with
working ntp servers. In fact, ntpdate sets the clock properly, but ntpd is
failing to keep the clock in sync with the ntp servers.

I've tried purging ntp & ntp-simple and reinstalling, but that didn't
help. There are no errors in any logs in /var/log. Any ideas or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

# uname -a
Linux haze 2.4.18 #1 SMP Fri Dec 27 00:01:51 EST 2002 i686 AMD Athlon(tm)
Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

# dpkg -l|grep ntp
ii  ntp            4.1.0-8        Daemon and utilities for full NTP v4 timekee
ii  ntp-simple     4.1.0-8        NTP v4 daemon for simple systems.
ii  ntpdate        4.1.0-8        The ntpdate client for setting system time f

# cat /etc/ntp.conf
# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
#logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

### lines starting 'server' are auto generated,
### use dpkg-reconfigure to modify those lines.

server timex.cs.columbia.edu
server clock.psu.edu
server bonehed.lcs.mit.edu