Re: Slang for money [was: Re: Backup Consensus?]

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:13:56PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> I tend to use terms like "quid" or "pound" because I still expect
> pound (£) signs to be turned into hash (#) signs by non-British
> equipment. To make matters worse, Americans sometimes call hash signs
> pound signs, so asking "did my pound signs come out OK" can get a
> misleading answer. Puzzles me a bit - I thought # was an American
> symbol anyway - does it just have two American names, one of which is
> better at crossing oceans? (Because "pound" is heavy, and sinks?)

Your '£' character worked here, though I make sure I have my locale set
properly ("en_US" where I am, in sunny South Dakota).

The '#' has a crapload of names: some I know are

1) "pound" sign; apparently bags of dry goods used to have the number
of pounds followed by the '#' sign.  I learned this term back in my
Apple ][ days (or daze).  The phone company annoyingly calls this the
pound key (yet the asterisk is the star key?  Whatever).

2) "sharp" sign; ask a musician.  I learned this one while taking
violin lessons, but I've never referred to the '#' as a "sharp".

3) "hash"; dunno what the origin is but it works for me; I tend to use
this term exclusively to avoid confusion.

4) "octothorpe"; I guess this is the typographical name or something.
I even used to know _why_, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

PS Is there a one character symbol for a shilling? Does anyone other
than the US use the '¢' (cent) character?  How the hell do I type a
euro character? :-)

PPS i just used the compose key in PuTTY ... cool!

  NEWS FLASH: Scientists decode the first confirmed alien transmission
  from outer space ...

   "This really works! Just send 5*10^50 H atoms to each of the five
   star systems listed below. Then, add your own system to the top of
   the list, delete the system at the bottom, and send out copies of
   this message to 100 other solar systems. If you follow these
   instructions, within 0.25 of a galactic rotation you are guaranteed
   to receive enough hydrogen in return to power your civilization
   until entropy reaches its maximum!"