Re: Mysterious disk activity

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 07:32:57PM -0800, nate wrote:
> Ron Johnson said:
>
> > Leave it on, and fall quickly to sleep listening to white noise,
> > while lowering the house's thermostat, since you have an auxillary heater
> > in the room.

It's a flat in a large Victorian house which has been converted into
11 flats. Being at the top, it gets all the heat rising from the other
flats, so much of the time I have no heating on at all...

> I like white noise, but unfortunately not all computers emit such
> noise. my tivo is one, as is my laptop, I gotta turn on a powerful
> fan at night to drown out the tivo, which has 2 drives in it, at least
> one of them has gotten to the 'soft but piercing whine' point where
> I have trouble sleeping. Doesn't compare to my laptop, it's about 10x
> louder :(
>
> just gotta have enough fans to offset the whine. Used to have my redhat
> server in my bedroom, but it too was too loud with 5 x 10k RPM drives,
> the whine was loud despite 3x30CFM fans and my floor fan running. but
> in my living room I can barely hear the whine, since there are about 7
> other computers running at any given time with lots more fans, my 48port
> switch's fans are really loud and do a good job at generating white noise,
> one time last year when a friend came in from outta town I actually slept
> next to my rack so he could have my bedroom for the night, wasn't too
> bad since there was so many fans(with all of em maybe 250CFM total)
>
> I ordered a new laptop HD which should get here tomorrow which should
> solve the laptop problem and triple my space at the same time :)

Is this the "right sort of noise helps you sleep" theory? It doesn't
work for me. The summer weather here is often hot, humid, windless and
stagnant, and my main window is oriented so as to give me 2kW of solar
heating from 5.30am onwards. To make it bearable I have a huge 800W
industrial fan scrounged from an abandoned factory pulling air through
the flat, which has to run continuously in such weather. It takes me a
few days to get used to the noise, and even then, when I can
eventually turn the thing off the relief is great.

Different people, different noise... my sister used to sleep quite
happily through the noise of anchor chain being poured onto plywood
decking two feet from her head.

Pigeon