Re: phoenix and java?

This one time, at band camp, Robert Land said:
> Thanks for the detailed explaination using
> a additional library system - I really appreciate
> your help.
>

> > > Just curiously grepped for LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
> > > some dirs and noticed that perl seems to use
> > > this environment variable too. Is there some
> > > source of standard env. variables? - I have
> > > read so many howto's but never came across
> > > this topic and it does interest me.
> >
> > I would like to know this too...
> >
> > Pigeon
>
> Hopefully someone might jump in and help.
> If not I guess I have to subscribe to some
> developer list  to get these things sorted
> out.
>
> Robert

There are many standard environment variables, and then there are
application specific ones.  I don't think I've ever seen a complete list
of all the available variables, for precisely that reason - as
applications change, or new ones crop up, the list would change.  That
being said, you can usually find a decent list in the manpage of the
associated program.  For library related environment variables, take a
look at man ld.  For a list of common (and some not so common) variables
for the bash shell, take a look at man bash, in the section 'shell
variables' (line 500 or so here, will vary with your term size, though).

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | A Linux machine!  Because a 486 is a    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | terrible thing to waste!  -- Joe Sloan, |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | jjs@wintermute.ucr.edu                  |