Re: sound possible on Epox 8kha+ motherboard?

* Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> [2003-01-03 15:40 +0800]:

> Did anybody ever get sound to work on your EPOX 8kha+ board?
> I have 10/10/02 sid cds.  I tried everything. I can make the console
> beep out of the speaker only.  Alsaconf doesn't have the card.
> http://jidanni.org/comp/system.txt is my sorry system.  I can use
> kernel -18 or -19.

I have with much help from many sources (using Alsa).  I'm not sure what
you've done so I'll list all the steps I used.

create a link:
ln -s /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 /etc/modutils/alsa

Get the alsa modules
	If you're compiling your own kernel:
	apt-get install alsa-base alsa-source
	cd /usr/src
	tar -xzf alsa-driver.tar.gz
	compile alsa modules
	install alsa modules
	I have to admit I don't know how to do this (I only compile alsa
	modules when I recompile a kernel).
	possibly make-kpkg modules and then dpkg -i the.deb

	If you're using a stock kernel:
	apt-get install alsa-base alsa-modules-2.4.19-686 --> change to
	correct kernel version & architecture

create a file /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 containing:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

create a link:
ln -s /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 /etc/modutils/alsa

run:
update-modules

make sure you are in groups audio & cdrom

/etc/init.d/alsa start

load your favorite mixer (I use aumix), set the sound levels & you
should be ready.

If anybody out there could enlighten me on compiling modules without
compiling a kernel I would appreciate it.  Is the update-modules step
necessary (it has been some months since I did this)?  If I missed any
steps or added steps that are not required let me know 8-).
Good luck.
                                           Colin

--
Colin Keefe                    We never do anything well till we cease
ckeefe@sasktel.net             to think about the manner of doing it.