Re: Linux and Intel's Hyperthreading

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 21:13, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 07:35:41PM +0100, mess-mate wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:16:03 -0800 (PST)
> > "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> >
> > | nick lidakis said:
[snip]
> > Well, ASUS suggest to compile with the Hyper-Threading compiler ???
> > What about this compiler ?
>
> I'd say they mean Intel's non-Free C/C++ compiler.  It costs a bucket in
> general, but I think it's free (as in beer) for personal use.  Of
> course, the C++ compiler's ABI is incompatible with every GCC release
> thus far (not that GCC is even compatible with itself, across releases),
> so you'll have a hell of a time getting it to integrate int your Debian
> system, if you decide to use it.  Depending on what you do, it can
> apparently lead to enormous speedups (mostly with numerical code
> though, or so I hear), but GCC 3.x is closing the gap...
>
> Anyhow, I can't imagine that a smart compiler could do *that* much to
> help, since getting good performance on multi-processor systems is more
> of a programming design issue, rather than compiler smarts.  No doubt
> having two 'CPU's in the once chip, sharing registers and cache requires
> some compiler intelligence though.

You'd be amazed at how good those ex-DEC compiler writers are...

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/almabench.html

In this heavily numerical benchmark, the best Intel Fortran and C++
timings are 3.24x faster than the best g++ 3.2.1 timings.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |