Re: users and x/gdm

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 09:28:37PM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
>Karsten M. Self declaimed:
>> on Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:47:08PM -0500, George Georgalis (george@galis.org) wrote:
>> > Something seems wrong with the archives at the moment...
>> >

>> > I just finished walking remote hands through a not so simple x
>> > configuration. whew.
>> >
>> > now a user can 'startx' and use the session, but with gdm the session
>> > starts then immediately returns to the gdm login.
>> >
>> > I presume there is a permissions problem here... how do I enable users
>> > with console access (or users in a group) to access (run) the xserver?
>>
>> In /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config:
>>
>>     allowed_users=console
>>
>> You should be able to manage this setting with:
>>
>>     # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
>>
>> man 5 Xwrapper.config for more information.
>>
>> Peace.
>
>I had a similar problem with an account on a RH Linux system. The
>solution was to change the last line of my .xsession file from
>
>/usr/bin/blackbox       # Works with gdm on my Debian/Sarge system

>exec /usr/bin/blackbox  # Works with gdm on RH 7/8
>
>The Debian system's /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file has the line described
>by Karsten, the RH system doesn't have that file. Note that I don't know
>_why_ my solution works...

Thanks, Karsten and Paul. My Xwrapper.config is okay. I'm going to try
exec in .xsession, .xinit, etc files (it's a new account so I don't know
why there would be stray files). When remote hands wants to work on it
again. :)

I made /tmp a symlink to /var/tmp, /var/tmp seems to have the right
permissions. but that's the only other difference from my working system
I can think of...

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org