IP Masq troubles

I am getting quite frustrated at not being able to do something that I once was able to do without any trouble... set up IP maquerading.

Here's the box: 3.0r1, Kernel 2.2.20 (gave up on trying to compile/install a 2.4.x kernel). eth1 is the external, eth0 internal.

I am trying to set this up at home behind an existing gateway so that when I return to my university city I shall have an operable gateway/firewall machine for the 5 of us students who share accomodations and internet.

Ok, so right now we have:

ISP
-->
- 24.x.y.z (external, by DHCP)
RH7.3 Gateway
-192.168.1.1 (internal)
-->hub-->
- 192.168.1.14 (external, by DHCP - eth1)
Debian 3.0r1 gateway-to-be
- 192.168.0.1 (internal - eth0)
-->hub-->
- 192.168.0.10 (eth0, by DHCP)
My Debian 3.0 machine

When this gets moved to my university city, it will look like:

ISP
-->
- 24.x.y.z (external, by DHCP - eth1)
Debian 3.0r1 gateway-to-be
- 192.168.0.1 (internal - eth0)
-->hub-->
- 192.168.0.10 (eth0, by DHCP)
My Debian 3.0 machine

So the fact that the gateway-to-be is behind another firewall shouldn't matter, right?

Right now, the gateway-to-be can connect to the internet. My box in this set up behind it can't, but it can connect to the gateway-to-be and get its IP from there through DHCP (eg I can ping 192.168.0.1 but not 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.14 or anything else - the network is unreachable). I've installed the ipmasq package, which, the last time I did this a year and a half ago set up everything fine.

The relevant bits of interfaces are:

     auto eth1
     iface eth1 inet dhcp

     auto eth0
     iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.1
     network 192.168.0.0
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.0.255

ifconfig shows both to be up (obviously, as I can get a .0.x IP from behind it).

I'm hoping that this problem will go away when I set it up without another firewall in front of it, but I'm not convinced this will happen as I see no good reason for it not to be working right now.

I can provide more gory details if needed. Thanks
--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV