new kernel and booting problems

Hi,

Today I have compiled and installed a new kernel (2.4.20 with the patches from AC) for my debian system with the following commands.

make-kpkg --revision <kernelname> kernel_image
dpkg -i <kernel_image>

Now I have the problem that when I boot the new kernel only the /boot and the / partition are mounted, the rest (usr, home, ...) does not mount. This leads to the problem that no X gets started, the servers are not started (because the network never gets started too) and so on.

When booting from the floppy everything is like before installing the kernel.

Well, that was the problem until I started writing this mail. At the moment, due to my tries to get rid of the new kernel (with dpkg --purge --force-remove-essential) and to install the new kernel, I can only get access to my system with the floppy disk, LILO hangs after a few seconds when starting from harddisk.

Does anyone have a clue how I can rescue my system, especially with the new kernel and the old startup files?

Thanks in advance
Who-T