Re: Security Question

Thanks for all the input guys, it has been very helpful.
Didn't mean to sound like a troll or start any flames, just wanted to be sure that my IT people were as misinformed as I thought they were (I am biased towards Debian when I pick linux flavors but I wanted to be sure my bias had some backing ;) ). I will let them know of their mis-understanding.

I had another question that is related to my IT guys response:
When I compiled their vpn client, it was looking for modversions.h which I found you had to run make old-config (not sure of exact command) to get the source to generate that file. Once I did that I got tons of compile errors in their code. When I approached them about it they told me that they only tested it on Red Hat 6.2 with glibc 2.1.1-6 with kernel 2.2.12 and claimed any compatible versions will work. (that's also when they said that Debian was a beta OS) In my shock I started my own research

My installation of Debian is with kernel 2.2.20, I have libstdc 2.10-glibc2.2 installed and they claim that glibc 2.1.1-6 or higher will work. They told me to make sure that my glibc was compatible with Red Hat's, I figured they were the same but wanted to know if that was true.

I have done some looking but don't really know where to start. I was wondering if any of you had compile issues with programs written in c which compile on Red Hat but not on Debian? Below is an excerpt of the errors I get (i didn't want to list them all since this email is long enough. and all the errors are of the same type just different locations).

> I get the following compile time errors: linuxcniapi.c: In
> function `CNI_LINUXGetMacAddress': linuxcniapi.c:1118:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c:1120:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c:1123:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c:1124:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c: In
> function `CNI_LINUXGetMacName': linuxcniapi.c:1175:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c: In
> function `CNI_LINUXInjectReceive': linuxcniapi.c:1293:
> dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c:1300:
> warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
> linuxcniapi.c:1302: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> linuxcniapi.c:1305: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

Thanks for any input you guys can offer.
John