Re: Quick Bash question

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 12:22:14AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> In a shell script does:
>
>   MODPROBE=:
>
> do anything special besides set $MODPROBE to ":"?

No.

>     MODPROBE=:
[...]
>             debug_mesg Looking for module $MODULE with modprobe=$MODPROBE
>             if $MODPROBE -n $MODULE >/dev/null 2>&1 &&
>                     ! $MODPROBE $MODULE >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then

':' is another name for 'true', which ignores all its arguments and
returns true. It's often used as a substitute for a program that wasn't
found on the build system or as a way to temporarily disable something.
Since 'true && ! true' is false, that's why you're seeing this
behaviour.

It's possible that it's intentional; I don't know. If you have a
problem, it's probably best to file a bug.