Re: kernel recompile

At 2003-01-03T13:12:45Z, Michael Olds <MikeOlds@pacbell.net> writes:

> I am guessing from the "I could only recover by editing GRUB" that you did
> not rename /lib/modules/version number so that a new modules/version number
> could be built by the new kernel. Repeat the process doing this first.

Even better: use make-kpkg's "--append-to-version" option to generate
multiple versions of the same kernel, each with their own /lib/modules
namespace.  Oops!  The new one doesn't work?  No problem!  Boot from
2.4.19-versionN-1 that's still installed and 100% bootable.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.