man pages as user

on the system i'm bringing up, i can read manpages as root, but not as
myself.  when i try, i get the following two errors:

mikan~> man man
(null): can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
man: can't create a temporary filename: Permission denied

perl is also giving me errors along the lines of the first one.  i've
configured my locales ... and i've seen this recently on debian-user,
so i'll keep googling for that one.

the latter, though -- how do i give normal users permission to read
manpages?  i'm not sure where i need to tweak what permissions.

thanks,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu