Re: initializing linux partitions after installation

on Thu, 02 Jan 2003 07:56:36AM +0000, Karsten M. Self insinuated:
> on Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 02:24:40AM -0500, Nori Heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
> > so, i did it!  i installed debian from scratch, woo-hoo!  it's now
> > installed, but not configured, so i still have half the work ahead
> > of me ... but thanks to y'all and to debian, it was much easier
> > than i'd expected it to be.
> >
> > now my question is: during setup and installation, i partitioned
> > off my hard drive into a swap partition /, /usr, /var, /tmp, and
> > /home.  i initialized the swap and the first three of the others,
> > but then i stopped, and moved on to the rest of the installation.
> > now i don't have /tmp or /home initialized or mounted.  how do i
>
>    1.  Create the partition (you've done this apparently).
>
>    2.  Create a filesystem on it.  E.g.:  if /dev/hda6 is /home:
>
>          mke2fs /dev/hda6
>
>    3.  Add an entry to /etc/fstab.
>
>    4.  Mount the filesystem.

perfect, that works like a charm.  google hadn't been any help on this
one ... guess i'd just been phrasing my question wrong.  thanks!

> > what's weirding me out is, having created a user account for
> > myself and logging in, `pwd` says i'm in /home/nori.  how can this
> > be, if i didn't initialize a /home partition?
>
> You don't need to create a partition for given mountpoints, you
> *can* do so if you like.  /home/nori is probably on your root
> partition (/).  You can check this with:
>
>     $ cd /home/nori; df .

yup, that's exactly what it was.

> > i mean, i'm going to go back and initialize it and /tmp just as
> > soon as i figure out how, but i'm kind of confused.
>
> You're doing fine.  The confusion is permanent, its focus shifts
> with time.

:) so i'm seeing.  thanks!

</nori>

--