Re: apt-get (status file) broken?

On 2002.12.31 00:25 Adahma wrote:
I get the following error when trying to use apt-get or dselect:

Hit http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing liblircclient0 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I'm running Sid.  I have not seen any related list traffic on such
an error, so I'm guessing it's just my system, and a hosed file.
Can anyone give direction on how I might rectify such a problem?

I've gotten this when the package cache starts to get largish. I suspect this is an implementation mis-feature, where it tries to store the entire package repository in memory, or something like that. I work around it by periodically (i.e., when I get the Dynamic MMap error) cleaning out the cache via 'apt-get clean'.

HTH,
Ian