Does a Maxtor 5000 LE USB Drive Work under Linux?

	I presently have 2 unknowns I am trying to resolve.  I have
installed USB support and the USB mass-storage driver on a Debian system
using the 2.4.19 kernel.  The USB stuff installs with no complaint at all.

	I power up the Maxtor and boot the system but no new drives show up
in the empty usb file system that can now be found in /proc/bus.

	I also don't see any kind of errors in any log files so I don't
know if the Maxtor can't talk to Linux or if the usb drivers aren't
working.

	The drive is new and I can return it to the store where I got it if
it isn't going to work, but I need to do that soon or I must eat it.

	Does the USB system complain if it can't talk to any drives?
Things are just too quiet with the only log entries being  a successful
report that the USB module installed as well as the
mass-storage driver.

	My hunch is that the USB is okay but it won't talk to this
drive.  I just want to be sure I have tried everything before I
take it back.  I could sure use the storage.

	If anyone has seem my earlier post under a different
subject, the loss  of SCSI emulation of IDE drives appears to
have been a false alarm.  I now have both USB and SCSI emulation
here, just no new blank drives called /dev/sda.
--

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group