Video CD software

I'm looking for packages that I might use to create CDs containing a
slideshow of photos that I could play on my DVD player.  (I'm not
referring to the CD burning aspects, but how to create what I would burn
on the CD. I use xcdroast for the former).  As a complete beginner with
video stuff, I have no idea what sorts of packages I might need.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for simple-to-use packages (I don't
need anything particularly fancy), and for any links to useful
tutorial-type websites.

Thanks.
--
Richard Kimber