ncurses status???

Hi again, folks, and Happy New Year to all.

I am now recompiling my kernel.  I tried to use make menuconfig, but
this failed with a message to the effect that ncurses was missing.  I
tried an apt-get for ncurses, but the message tells me that it is no
longer available -- presumably obsolete now, or something to that
effect.

We were able to configure the kernel with xconfig.  But what's with
ncurses?  I am missing some history, or not understanding how I am
supposed to load ncurses now.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment that you can give.

Larry Hunsicker