Re: upgrade

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 18:27, Nano Nano wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 06:49:48PM -0500, WCESSNOCK@aol.com wrote:
> > I need to upgrade my Gallant TV Tuner card
>
> This kind of randomness happens a lot.  I figure it's one of three
> things: either (1) the sender intended to ask debian-user this question;
> (2) the sender is on a shared computer and this was in the address book,
> and it just looked useful, or (3) it's some kind of spam.
>
> If it's (1), how would someone "stumble" onto www.debian.org and learn
> the address?  I can imagine the clueless doing dumb things but that
> seems like a highly unlikely choice.
>
> If it's (3), what is the purpose of sending such a pointless spam?  Is
> it just pointless anarchy?
>
> (2) is a stretch.  Maybe debian-user is a link on some web page listing
> a collection of email support addresses, and the clueless just sort of
> click randomly to get here.

Actually what surprises me most is the the number of replies and the
length of the thread for messages like his. I've posted many genuine
requests for information or help in many news groups, many of which
received not a single response, yet I've seen embecilic posts turn into
long threads. Sometimes makes me wonder what the real motivation is for
many people in these groups.

Craig Jackson