Re: charter font in debian's openoffice.org1.1

Matt Price(matt.price@utoronto.ca) is reported to have said:

> Hi,
>
> recentfly upgraded to OOo1.1 using the relativley new sid
> debs.  New version is lovely -- well-done! -- but I've lost some fonts
> and don't understand how to get them back.  The README.Debian states
> the following:
>
> Missing fonts on upgrade to 1.1.0
> ---------------------------------
> As part of the integration of Ximian's work, openoffice now uses
> fontconfig to
> determine the installed fonts on your system.  Fonts that were
> installed using
> the 'spadmin' tool in a non-standard directory are no longer
> supported.  You
> should move those fonts to a directory that fontconfig knows about,
> such as
> ~/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts.   The same applies if you made use of
> special
> paths with SAL_FONTPATH_PRIVATE.
>

> ok...  but where do I find the fonts that spadmin installed?  the main
> one I'm worried about is charter, which I use 'cause it's pretty,
> fairly straightforward, and has a useful italics mode (thhe bittstream
> vera serif, which is the default, doesn't).  The only filles named
> "charter""" i cna find are in
> /usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter

I just updated a few days ago.  Locate finds the openoffice fonts
here:  /usr/lib/openoffice/share/psprint/fontmetric
That dir is dated 12/29, when I updated but the file
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/psprint/pspfontcache
is dated 12/31, when I first got a chance to do some work with the
editor. I didn't run spadmin so OO must have gone out and updated the
fonts.  You might also checl /etc/openoffice/psprint.conf.

> how do I "move" them to .fonts, as the readme suggests, or fix the
> probem otherwise?

Got me (?).  I haven't lost any fonts but I have been running the
unstable version for months.

HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day
Wayne
--
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to most of
us who are fortunate enough never to have been one -- like watching