Re: Good front end for small postgress dtabases?

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 04:23:26PM -0500 or thereabouts, Bob Billson wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 01:15:54PM -0500, Paul Morgan penned:
[I don't have the original post -- not sure who quoted what]

> > > pgaccess

I keep some simple lists: dates, tasks, books I read/want/own, account
details.  In the spirit of Unix, my first intuition was just created a
file named "data" and add one "record" per line in a reasonably
structured way.  I parsed it with perl and printed it with a2ps.

Then, I tried 4000 ways in Debian to do it better: I tried all the
postgres/mysql front-ends, outlook knockoffs, console-only things
written in ruby, &c.  I hated all of them.

So I spent most of 2003 writing my own in my spare time.
Here's a screenshot:
http://home.comcast.net/~40101.nospam/pim.png

It stores data in XML, is intended for small databases, single user, but
it's indexed and has referential integrity.  There's keyboard shortcuts
for everything.  It starts fast, it's fast to navigate and slam in some
data, hit save and get out.

It's my own build system: all you start with is some C files, no
makefiles at all.  One file is called proj.c: type "gcc proj.c; ./a.out;
./proj" and it does all the automakish stuff.  Type "./proj c" and it
deletes that crap and you just have a flat list of C files.  It's pretty
cheasy but I like it.

Over the course of the year I started over 20 times, but around October
I got inspired and got something that works.  I guess I have to open the
kimino now so y'all can tell me how much it sucks before I can get to
the "next level":

Here it is.  Be nice with your comments please.  It meets its design
goals -- they are probably not the design goals you expect -- I'm a
pretty wierd guy, you'll probably think it's super-wierd:

http://home.comcast.net/~40101.nospam/x-0.1.tar.bz2