Re: Using RAID chipsets in the motherboard.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
> 1) All most all of the newer motherboards come with SATA RAID. Is this usable
>    as is without any additional kernel drivers. I ask this because I read in
>    many knowledge base resources that  a HW controller looks just like an IDE
>    controller.

It is usable as a SATA host (controller).  The RAID function is not usable
yet, and since it is crap (software-assisted winraid), you are better off
using linux native software RAID anyway.

> 2) What about additional on board RAID controllers? Like the VIA/PROMISE
>    Chipsets built into some of the ASUS mother boards? Do they require
>    additional drivers or can I use them just like any other IDE controller?

In _any_ case, you need the kernel to have the drivers for the chipsets
compiled in (or appropriate modules loaded).  The SATA disks will show up as
scsi disks, I believe.

Not many chipsets are supported, but hopefuly the Promise ones are... you
_will_ need a very recent kernel (2.4.23, 2.4.24-pre or 2.6.0) and maybe the
libata patch.  Search google for more details...

  Henrique Holschuh