Re: Sound Problems With Debian 3.0r1 testing/unstable

I hope you don't mind if I CC debian-user to keep the thread together.

Am Di, den 30.12.2003 schrieb Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. um 03:07:

> Sebastian Kapfer wrote:

> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:00:47 +0100, Joseph A. Nagy wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: Sound Problems With Debian 3.0r1 testing/unstable
> >
> > Debian 3.0 is no longer unstable ;-)
>
> I installed 3.0r1 from CD and upgraded from the stable tree although I
> did a dist-upgrade to testing/unstable and pull 90-99% of my packages
> from there, the other 1-5% come from experimental.

Eh... that no longer counts as Debian 3.0 :-)

> > Sharing the soundcard can be tricky. In general, only one program at a
> > time is in charge of the sound device. That means one user program like
> > XMMS or one sound server (ESD or aRts) and its sound clients.
> >
> > (That's only part of the story -- some soundcards have multiple channels,
> > and allow more than one program at a time to make sound; also, the modern
> > ALSA drivers can do software mixing. Google search terms: asoundrc dmix.)
>
> I use SBLive! MP3+ (emu10k1 module)

Ah... you're using the OSS sound drivers. If you don't experience any
problems with them, you might wish to keep them and not upgrade to ALSA.
(Obviously, any ALSA software won't work, but most software only has OSS
or ESD/aRts support anyway.)

> > >GAIM is set to use Arts (although it is equally soundless using ESD)
> >
> > Sound server running?
>
> I assume so. I can run XMMS's sound through ARTS and ESD w/o any problem.

Good point :-)

> > > and Gnomemeeting is set to use /dev/dsp0 (although it is equally
> > > soundless with /dev/dsp1).
> > >
> > > I just recently upgraded to the latest alsa-base from testing/unstable.
> > > Any idea's what is going on?

You don't need alsa-base. You're running OSS, and could as well
uninstall alsa-base :-)

> > alsa-base does not contain any sound drivers. alsa-base is the init.d
> > script which loads sound drivers (and a few other technical details). Do
> > you have an alsa-modules package installed which matches your kernel? (I
> > assume you're running a 2.4 series kernel. 2.6 has ALSA built in.)
> >
> > Once you have installed the alsa-modules package, you can run
> > dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base to select your sound driver.
> >
> > After that, make sure your user account is member of the audio group. (You
> > have to re-login for the group changes to take effect.) Now you should at
> > least get XMMS to work with raw ALSA and OSS.
>
> Thanks for the tips, I'll do that. And yes, I am part of the audio
> group. That's how I have sound on XMMS and every other program (mostly
> games) except for GAIM and Gnomemeeting (sometimes I run a game and XMMS
> together and get both sounds,

The SB Live is one of the cards which can do hardware mixing, i.e.
support multiple sound apps at once, even without the help of a software
sound server.

What remains are two programs which have no sound, but the sound driver
is obviously working. Looks like a configuration issue, but I don't use
either GAIM or Gnomemeeting, so I can't help you there.

--
Best Regards,  | Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian     | your ~/.signature to help me spread!