sis900 module will not load on boot

I just installed Sarge on a machine and have run into
a problem getting the sis900 module to load at boot
time.  The machine has an onboard SIS Ethernet
controller.  Originally the machine the 2.4.18-bf2.4
kernel and could load the modules correctly.  I
upgrade to kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7 and it is no
longer able to start the ethernet card when the system
boots.

However, if I 'modprobe sis900' the module loads
without any errors and the network is available.  So
the module is installed and in working order, it is
just not getting loaded when the system boots.  How
can I fix it so that the sis900 module is loaded when
the system boots?