Re: apt-get files problems

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 at 14:47 GMT, A.L.Meyers penned:
> [large snip]
> >
> > Thanks, Jerome, that did help.  apt-get goes a great step further but,
> > alas, then complains about missing file lists for each of the
> > installed packages.  Probably something else got corrupted.  Where
> > should those file lists per package be located, please?  Is there a
> > way to get apt to reconfigure itself in such a situation?
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ has a <package_name>.list file for every package on
> your system.  I'm guessing that's what apt is looking for.

Bingo, Monique.  And precisely that directory entry apparently was on
one of the bad blocks on that partition (IDE drive about 4 years old -
now I know why the old wizzards always prefer SCSI).  And my backups
with the undamaged data are too old compared to the state of packages
before the disk read errors began to multiply.  In addition to running
fsck on the file system, I have shifted /var to the partition which
used to be /opt and vice-versa, as the latter partition has (not yet)
exhibited read errors and /opt under Debian can live on smaller space.
After the year-end financial ebb, maybe I shall plunk down enough cash
to replace the IDE drive with magneto-optical disks.  One ouch is
enough.

Anyway, lamentation leads nowhere.  How can I get apt to regenerate
those *.list files, please?

Lux
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
Key fingerprint: 8994 CFDD 9C60 C978 A488 689F 5DCC EFC4 4D36 580D