Re: A good book on C Programming?

Thus spake Gavin Henry:
> I need some good books. I used to have one called "A Book On C", but sold it,
> and I have been reading various tutorials on the web and the many devoted
> websites.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?

I always suggest picking up a copy of "The C Programming Language" by
Kernighan and Ritchie.  That's the classic C book that I think everyone
should have.  If you decide to go with C++, then you should pick up a
copy of "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup -- it's the
tome for C++.

> One more question, should I go for C or C++? Which will benefit me more with
> GNU/Linux?

It sort of depends on what you want to do.  The Linux kernel, most
system libraries, and GNOME/GTK+ applications use C.  KDE/Qt
applications use C++.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

The only way you can do that [decrease taxes, balance the budget, and
increase military spending] is with mirrors, and that's what it would
take. - John B. Anderson