Re: Advice on usb pendrive purchase

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Kent West wrote:

> My experience with such devices has been less than stellar. As long as
> you leave them formatted as they come, no problems, but if you reformat
> them, particularly changing them to ext2, it's been my experience,
> limited as it's been, that you have a good chance of rendering them
> flakey and/or unusable. I'd expecially stay away from the SANSDisk brand
> (although my bad experience was with a SANSDisk SD card rather than a
> jumpdrive, but it soured me on the name).
>
> My general impression is that the technology just isn't quite mature yet.

Sorry to hear that.

I have been using a SanDisk 256MB SD Card for about two months now
without any problem at all. I use it with the Cruzer that came with it
(an USB adapter) and in my Zaurus C-760 on a daily basis and it hasn't
played up on me yet. First thing I did when I got it was putting an ext2
filesystem on it (as I don't have to use Windows at work and I certainly
don't own it at home), so I can't tell if a FAT filesystem would give
more trouble, although I can't imagine why it would.

I guess I have been quite lucky or you have just gotten the bad one from
the batch...

Grx HdV