Re: can not ping other hosts with VT6105 Rhine-III on 2.4

Thanks for the reply, both computers are behind a proxy server on a local lan. If I run Suse 8.2 on the AMD computer with 2.4.23 everthing works great. With 2.2.20 woody on it you can ping OK but have trouble getting NFS to work. If I try to up grade then it will not ping the other computer.

Bill K

Robert Storey wrote:

I'm not sure I can answer your question, but I would guess that maybe
it's a firewall problem (that is, if you're running a firewall). Or
maybe TCP wrappers is misconfigured?

I can tell you that running Unstable with the 2.4.22 kernel I am having
no trouble at all pinging other hosts. I didn't upgrade from Woody,
rather I just installed Knoppix 3.3 and went from there - everything is
running smoothly.

If you don't mind spending a couple of hours doing a Knoppix
install/configuration, it's probably less effort than trying to sort out
the problem with Woody.

Hope this helps (probably doesn't, but I tried).

happy holidays,
Robert

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:50:03 -0600