Re: Synching volumes on logout -- tune2fs

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 at 09:15 GMT, David Baron penned:
> Should I so choose to convert to ext3: What options do I give this
> program? I have one big-linux partition (as opposed to separates /etc,
> /usr, etc.) and the swap partition. I do not quite undersatnd the
> options in the -h listing.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but if I do, you want to run
tune2fs -j on your big linux partition.  Swap is a totally different
"filesystem" whose format you do not want to change.

The one kicker is that you can't have the partition mounted while you're
converting it.  The easiest solution is probably to boot into knoppix,
run the command from there, and then boot back into your normal
configuration.

Also, to actually use ext3, your kernel needs to be able to handle ext3,
and your fstab needs to explicitly be set to use it.

Ooh, here *I* have a question.  Just noticed that I have my ext3 root
partition mounting as 'auto' in my fstab.  My other ext3 partitions are
mounting as 'ext3,ext2' (in case the kernel isn't ext3-aware, I can
still mount them as ext2).  What is 'auto's behavior in this situation?
Will it choose ext3 or ext2?

--
monique