Woody: TaskSel - XWindows; startx fails

When installing woody, after getting to the tasksel screen, I noticed that choosing "XWindowServer" option by itself did not resolve enough dependencies to be able to run the server. I also tried apt-get install kdm, suspecting that I just needed to choose a window manager, however, kdm wouldn't resolve either.

My (rather blunt) solution to the problem was to choose the "desktop" option in tasksel as well -- that appears to resolve whatever dependencies need resolving. I know just (not) enough about XWindowServer theory to suspect that this may be by design -- that I need to make some sort of 'choice' about my environment that is made by selecting the "desktop" option.

Does anyone know why this is, or if it is just specific to laptops, or if it is just that something failed that should have worked?

I'm interested in theory. I don't have the specific error messages on hand (to get them, I would need to do a fair amount of work) -- but I'm learning how to compile kernels, and the process has resulting in needing to reinstall debian woody about 6 times so far... (yes, I'm doing things terribly wrong and I'm aware of it)... I figure reinstallation will go faster if I don't install all of XWindowsServer and the desktop each time...

Thanks!

-Jason.