Re: Root Partition Fills Up Completely After a Few Hours

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 09:40:14PM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> Okay, this is my weirdest Linux problem yet.
>
> Leaving the system unattended for a few hours, the / partition on my
> hard drive mysteriously fills up.  When I open up KDiskfree, the
> partition in question shows as 100% used (red line all the way across.)
>
> This has happened twice now.  The first time was after I went to bed
> last night.  When I got up this morning, the drive was full.  Then, it
> happened again while we were out doing Christmas dinner and movies.  We
> left around 11:30 this morning, and when we returned just about a half
> hour ago, it was full again.  Both times, I was able to clear it by
> logging out and back in again.
>
> I'm suspecting that the culprit is ipmasq.  I noticed that when I'm
> logged in to any text console, I occasionally get various firewall
> status lines, such as:
>
> IN= OUT=eth0 SRC=68.113.22.3 DST=68.111.54.95 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00
> TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=TCP SP

That is going into your /var/log/(syslog|messages|kern.log).
du --max-depth=0 on /var/log and on /tmp or du --max-depth=1 on / to
see where the data is hiding. Since it clears when you log out
(reboot?) its probably a temp file. If only logout then I would guess
something related to you window manager or session.