Versions by Debian release

I had a problem with X that I posted earlier this week to this list. I
didn't receive any replies, and I had a feeling that the only answer was
going to be upgrading xserver-xfree86 from the version I was running
under stable. I did an apt-get update and apt-get --dry-run install
xserver-xfree86. From the output, it looked like this would break a few
things, which I didn't want. (I recently went from testing to stable in
order to be able to run KDE.)

So I went to xfree86.org and downloaded the latest source. I compiled
and installed. This fixed my X problem, and didn't break anything under
stable.

Now the question is: If I could do this, then why haven't we backported
X (version 4.3) to stable? I suspect the answer is that versions of
packages under stable are never changed. My question is: Why is this? If
we can increment the package versions in stable without breaking things,
why don't we? Why are package versions inviolate? Every few months, we
put out revisions to stable anyway.

Paul