Re: debian on my athlon?

From: Forest Fisher <Forest.Fisher@oberlin.edu>

>Date: Today 13:01:20

>I just got a new laptop for x-mas that runs on an AMD Athlon XP-M
>processor.  It's a new processor designed specifically to minimize
>energy use for laptops.  I was hoping to run Debian GNU/Linux on my
>laptop, but the official website indicates that the latest release is
>not built for the Athlon architecture.  Nonetheless, there are other
>webpages claiming to have "athlon builders."  I'm a newbie, and it's
>not clear to me what an "Athlon Builder" really is.  Does this mean
>that if I download the Athlon Builder I can run Debian on my system or
>is this processor simply not supported by Debian?  Finally, if Athlon
>processors aren't supported by Debian, does anyone know another GNU/
>Linux OS that I could run on my system.  Thanks a bunch,

>Forest

Congrats on the Athlon XP-M, nice chip, you might want to consult
http://www.tuxmobile.com and see if your laptop is listed in the howto
section.  This can be useful for certain hardware and kernel modules
that might be needed.

Also if your new to Debian you might want to look over the install
document. Which can be found at http://www.debian.org/doc/
user-manuals#install this will help give you a general idea about how
debian works.

For a quick and dirty way to see if Debian works on your system go ahead
and download a Knoppix cd, you can find some good resources at http://
www.knoppix.net just reboot and enjoy.

In regards to Athlon Builder as you already know, an Athlon is an
Athlon, is an Athlon.  Your chip is just a mobile version which uses
less power. My only guess, and it is a guess is they were probably
talking about kernel compiling using a different distro of Linux.  But
since your talking about Debian I would not worry about it, latter on
you can compile your own kernel, or download a kernel-image for the K7.

Rthoreau