Synching volumes on logout

This would be a good idea. Sometimes, the shutdown fails leaving a damaged
volume. I just did a manual fsck as well and good but it is a bit scarey :-)

How might I assure such a logout synch? Is there a utility to do this?
Unmount;mount ?

General question: How does one set up a login and logout script -- such as to
start certain application (OK, KDE will keep your session, but...) but such a
login script is obviously being run and doing a knoppix desktop setup of some
kind. There must also be some way of a logout script as well.