Re: Checking File integrity

on Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 01:30:27PM +0100, rajkumars@asianetindia.com (rajkumars@asianetindia.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can i check the md5 sum of an executable from debian? For example
> if i want to check the md5sum of /bin/ps of redhat 8, I would go to
> wwwlknowngoods.org and type the executable name and distro name and I
> will get the proper md5sum. Is their any thing similar I can do with
> debian? I have a machine that is behaving strangly and wants to check
> for trojans and this is one method I use for it.

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

    apt-cache show debsums
    apt-get install debsums
    man debsums

...note that not all packages include md5sums.

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret, _Betrayal of Trust_